Friday, March 12, 2010

Segmented Love

Standing in my office's teeny kitchen..
peeling an orange..
Just had the most vivid flashback of my grandmother and I..
and how she always peeled and segmented (or cut into bite size bits) my fruit for me..
we would sit together, me watching cartoons/drawing/playing, her talking at me (but not really expecting me to listen, as I only learnt years later.. after having the guilt of all the years I thought I was being rude by ignoring her, 'cause she'd talk and then walk away out of earshot.. only to realise that she, just like me [probably because of her!] talks to herself out loud) about some random family member, household chore or idea or something..
she would methodically peel and share her segmented fruit with me..
one for her.. a couple for me..
she's sweet like that.
I hope I can be just as good a grandmother as she is..
I love you gram.
x

No comments: